All non-U.S. citizens (aliens) who are required to be registered are also required to keep the USCIS informed of their current address. The specific requirements for reporting your change of address are federal regulations found in 8 CFR Part 265. An address change is done by filing Form AR-11 with the USCIS. This is particularly important the non-U.S. citizen has filed an application or petition for a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act and expect notification of a decision on that application. U.S. citizens are not required to file a Form AR-11.

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, the non-U.S. citizen (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA § 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of non-U.S. citizen’s stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize non-U.S. citizen’s ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is available to citizens of a specified list of countries which are designated for inclusion in the VWP based upon having low rates of immigration violations as well as meeting other security-related protections. Citizens of these countries are permitted to travel to the United States for up to 90-days to engage in activities that would be appropriate within the categories of visitor for business or visitor for pleasure (B-1/B-2).

The list of designated countries is available on the U.S. Department of State (DOS) Website

The VWP facilitates routine travel for business or pleasure by eliminating the need to apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate prior to entry. However, it contains strict prohibitions on obtaining extensions or changes of status within the United States.


  1. Must hold and travel on the passport of a designated country
  2. Advance travel authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) [Those unable to obtain approval through ESTA cannot use the VWP]
  3. Machine readable passport [Some must meet e-Passport requirements]
  4. Purely temporary travel, lasting no more than 90-days

Visit consistent with the B-1 or B-2 visitor category

The Visa Bulletin is issued by the Department of State every month. It provides information regarding the cut-off dates which govern visa availability in the numerically limited visa categories and other immigrant visa related information. For the current Visa Bulletin, please visit the State Department’s website by clicking here.

Processing time for immigration matters vary widely and can change every now and then. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the U.S. Department of State (DOS), and the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), provide resources to check the processing times and status of applications filed. Following will provide the timings:

  1. USCIS Service Center Processing Times
  2. USCIS Case Status Check
  3. DOS Visa Wait Times
  4. PERM Processing Times
  5. AAO Processing Times
[oceanwp_library id="1120"]